Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What I'm Wearing Wednesday

I got this at the swap meet mainly because I've always loved Garnets. I Didn't think it was vintage or real Garnets. But it was unusual that the clasp on it was a bit ornate. Turning it over I saw Goldette N.Y. but didn't recognize the name of the maker and shrugged it off as modern. It also has the C after the mark. 





Upon digging online I found the following. Well now I know.

Goldette Costume Jewelry was the mark of Goldette for Ben Gartner who did business as the Circle Jewelry Co.,. They first used the mark of "goldette N.Y. in the fall of 1955, Most all attribute the start of Goldette in 1958 but some pieces have been dated as early as 1955 and carry the copy right (c), or the (R) for registered after the mark where later jewelry had the (c) before their mark and was used on a oval applied disc. Sometime during 1959 the mark was just "goldette" or "goldette" and they continued to use the mark into the 1960s, Goldette was used in script for most all jewelry items. They mainly produced jewelry designed in Victorian style in antiqued gold fashion or bright silver finish. Known for their large leaded glass sets and ornate metal work they would produce many items that have long since been discarded.

3 comments:

  1. I know this Jewlery. I love it dearly . You Know I love you dearly thats why you have a versatile blogger award Check my page :) Congrats xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of it but beautiful (I see how it appealed to you) and interesting facts!
    Cupcake
    xo

    ReplyDelete