Sunday, July 10, 2011

Ladybug Ladybug...

From what my memory serves my Grandmother always loved ladybugs. She had rocks painted like Ladybugs and she also had jewelry. Most ladybug jewelry is not to my taste but I do like the one my mother recently gave me.

I love the smooth roundness of this pin, the darker brick red color. I also remember growing up with the following book.



Interesting Ladybug facts:

The name "ladybug" was coined by European farmers who prayed to the Virgin Mary when pests began eating their crops. After ladybugs came and wiped out the invading insects, the farmers named them "beetle of Our Lady." This eventually was shortened to "lady beetle" and "ladybug."

There are about 5,000 different species of ladybugs in the world.
 
As ladybugs age, the color of their spots fades. (Geesh! we need to tap into that since when we age we get spots!)

No comments:

Post a Comment